- 2 quarts of fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, quartered
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 2 pints heavy cream
- Macerate strawberries in 1/2 cup of sugar until well juiced.
- Add vanilla to strawberries
- Mash or blend strawberry mixture. I used a hand immersion blender.
- Add heavy cream and the rest of the sugar.
- Mix well.
- Add to ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's directions.
- When ice cream has reached the desired firmness, transfer to a freezer container.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap into the mixture to work out any air bubbles.
- Put in freezer until ice cream is well set.
- Homemade ice cream is even better on the second day, when the flavors have set!
- Scoop into bowls and serve.